SCP 46591- Dennis Deacon of Woodbury, New Jersey

(GM Post)

The Dennis Deacons went flying! It was a fast, explosive knockback; and the dozen clones of one man were sent soaring through the air like paper, going rolling across the ground and flipping across the sky. They landed in various piles and pieces of trash. Some reached the limit of their existence, turning into a puddle of grey sometimes mid flight, leaving trails across the ground and on buildings. This wasn't really carnage, so to speak; the city itself was filled with carnage, but the heroes action's weren't that.

Then the detectors beeped. They had an exact location now. A pinpoint tracker out in the woods outside of town, a direct point where Dennis Deacon was turned into...whatever this was. A pretty hefty climb outside of town, through woods in the dark.

They were also still in the middle of the city, and there were still Dennis Deacons. The one they'd just met had been defeated, but if more showed up, they could quickly be surrounded. It was time for another plan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predator

Predator watched as the Deacons were flung through the air like rag dolls upon the wave of force from her attack. Part of her was satisfied with the results, but another part of her was upset with having to do it. It was the most tactically sound approach she could think of given the restraints of their situation.

Many of the copies did not survive the encounter, and none of the surviving ones were attempting to get up yet. She had bought them some time, it seemed.

An echo of Jean prompted a satisfied smirk as the scanners beeped in Echohead’s hands. The devices were functioning perfectly as intended. They had already triangulated the area where they would find the source of all this mayhem.

Echohead could almost get a sense of smugness below the pride of a job well down. 

Echohead

"Got it!" said Echohead, clenching both fists and pumping them with satisfaction. "We got this, huh?"

"Oh..."

He blinked at the location. "In the woods, huh? Good thing I'm not scared of dark scary woods, right? That would be awful. I mean, it would be awful if, for instance, I had a bad childhood experience in the woods involving a dog and a bottle of pickled onions."

His eyes glazed over and he shuddered. 

"Yes that would be a terrible thing. Fortunately, it never happened to me, no sir. And I dont eat pickled onions..."

"...pickled..."

"...onions..."

He shuddered again. 

"I suppose we have to get there somehow," he continued, forcing some mettle into his words. "Could we risk driving the ambulance? At least to the edge of the dark scary woods which hopefully dont have any pickled onions in?"

Predator

Predator turned to Echohead as he returned with the sensors.

“All went well?”

She asked as he approached, muttering to himself. Something in regards to pickles and onions. Perhaps he was hungry.

She regarded the scanner and made a noncommittal noise.

“The woods. The reports had said he had been found out there. I suppose it was inevitable we’d have to follow his trail.”

She glanced at the agent and raised the smooth metal visor of her helmet. The entire curved plate sliding back to reveal her face behind a clear polymer layer Echohead could see the ghost images of readouts here and there around its edges as she looked out at him.

“Will you be okay? Should we get you back to the train?”

She asked, genuinely concerned for her mission partner.

Echohead

Echohead shuddered, the sweat on his brow icy. 

"I'll survive. The stress will only cause a non lethal heart attack, I guess. Probably non lethal, anyway. Shoot, why didn't I copy the mind of a doctor?"

He paused, his eyes darting around the ambulance. 

"Look!" he said, pointing. "One of those defribilator things! You can use that, right? With your super genius? Just shock me back to life when, I mean if, I suffer a heart attack?"

He shook himself. 

"Anyway, we better get going. Sooner we get going, the sooner I can have a heart attack, I mean the sooner we can complete the mission!"

Predator

Predator studied Echohead for a moment then nodded.

“Very well. Let’s finish the mission.”

She gave him a smile and the visor slid closed. The armored figure surveyed the area. She spotted something nearby. An old pick-up truck, its frame only slightly raised for bigger tires. Old mud caked its lower half. It had obviously seen use off paved roads.

“There.”

She pointed.

“That seems like a likely candidate.”

She glanced back at Echohead.

“I can drive this time.”

She offered.

“If you can navigate.”

Echohead

Echohead gave a little warm chuckle. "What, you saying I can't drive?" he asked, taking his hands to the steering wheel and give it a mad wobble. 

"No. I can't. Not well, anyway. Go ahead and take the wheel, you can't do any worse than me, can you?"

He stood up and brushed himself off, making sure his Variable pistol was still on his belt. 

"I can navigate. I grew up having to use maps, not computers. I quite liked them, to be honest. Not as stupid as I look.."

He tapped his forehead. 

"Especially with you in here!"

(GM Post)

So the two compatriots set off into the darkness in the borrowed truck!

It wasn't exactly easy even to just leave the town; there were still Dennis Deacons everywhere, and more than once there was the rough THUMP-THUMP of a need to press through a wedge of bodies. But by the time they reached the edge of town it had died out. By the time they reached the outskirts of town, the Dennis Deacons had mostly disappeared, and by the time they left the roads following the pinging of the trackers, there was nothing in the woods around them but trees and silence and the gentle hum of the truck's engine.

At that point, Navigation became rote; without a need to escape hoards of clones, it was easy to drive a truck, even in the dark of a forest. It might have been a bit close and there might be a few ruts in otherwise semi-pristine wilderness now, but the truck did it's job, before sweetly running out of fuel right near the mouth of the cave that must have been the place Dennis Deacon was found.

This was obvious even beyond the beeping transmitter, because an alien, pale blue glow was clearly visible from the depths of the cave. It would be hard to see in the forest while flying over it, but when you got underneath the tree cover, there it was, clear as day in the middle of the night, as ominous as could be.

The secret of this entire adventure was about to be discovered.

Echohead

"A cave..."

Echohead shuddered. 

"Dark and ominous cave. Perfect. What huh-huh-horrors luh-luh-lurk inside? A mutant bear? A coven of witches? A super scientist creating an army of cyborg nazi's?"

He shuddered again. 

"I guess we get to find out."

He swallowed the sand in his throat. It wasn't easy. 

Still, he strode out of the ambulance, adjusted his clothes, and pulled out his Variable pistol. With a few pushes of buttons, the pistol began to shine, shedding light in all directions. 

"At least we wont have to be scared of the dark..." he said with a sour mutter. 

• 5 weeks later...

Predator

Predator stepped out of the truck and regarded the cave entrance. She supposed the glow from within could be considered ’eerie’ by some.

On 8/18/2024 at 11:13 AM, Supercape said:

Echohead

"A cave..."

Echohead shuddered. 

"Dark and ominous cave. Perfect. What huh-huh-horrors luh-luh-lurk inside? A mutant bear? A coven of witches? A super scientist creating an army of cyborg nazi's?"

“A bear? Perhaps. Witches? Doubtful. The likelihood of discovering the last one again seems highly unlikely.”

She comments off-handedly without further context.

Predator glanced at Echohead as his pistol began to glow and gave a small nod.

“Cynthia, contact Agent Shrine. Initiate a live stream as well as a recording.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

The suit’s a.i. replied in its smooth artificial female tone, audible over the speakers. She didn't think she should mention out loud that this was a precaution should they suffer a fate similar to Mr Deacon's and A.E.G.I.S needed further data to combat whatever was inside.

“Now then, let us see about putting an end to this.”

Predator began to approach the cave, ready to react.

Edited by Spacefurry

(GM Post)

The camera was working. Shine could see what the two heros could see.

What they could see was...baffling. In it's own right.

As they entered the cave, the walls of rock were glowing; shot through with veins of blue. It was like they had revealed secret deposits of precious metals. But a further look, a deeper glance, made it clear that wasn't quite right. It was metal veins on top of the rock, pulsing in alien blue, stretching towards the exit of the cave. It almost looked like wires and cables as much as veins. Every now and then, the glow was replaced by a pulse of energy; white and yellow inside the veins that went deeper into the cave. 

Further and further, until the two were standing in front of a massive chasm. It was ripped open at the top, showing the slowly rising sun through the fractured roof. And in the Chasm was a box, the size of a bank vault, a single blue glowing orb in the direct center of the panel facing the pair. The veins connected to it, sending energy to the giant box.

It let out a pulse, then spoke in english. It was a robotic tenor to it, but it was a clear English with a Jersey accent. 

"...Who are you?" it asked. It's voice was tinged with curiosity, not anger or hatred or fear.

Echohead

"We are..." started Echohead. 

A thousand feeble blusters swirled around his head. The one that swirled loudest was just leaving.. 

But that was the echo of years of bullying. He swallowed. It hurt. His mouth was dry. 

All he had left was honesty. At least he couldn't fail at being honest. Perhaps the only thing one could truly promise.

"I mean, I am Echohead. And this is Predator. We have come to understand what is happening..."

It was about as good a start as he could think of. And speak of, with a mouth of rasping desert sand. 

"That's right, isn't it? Understanding?" he asked Predator. 

Predator

Predator examined the slow pulsing blue veins of alien material. She wished she had the time to take samples, but she was there for another purpose. If anything was left once this was over she could get a sample later.

Turning her full attention to the cave she pushed deeper with Echohead beside, if not slightly behind, her.

In time, they reached a chasm and the alien cube resting within. The object spoke and her first instinct was to verify if the sound had been picked up by her external mic, or if it had been projected directly to her.

“Did you get that?”

She asked those watching remotely. Beside her Echo began to reply, affirming it wasn’t only her that had heard the voice.

“Yes.”

She confirmed.

“At the moment, we represent the local populace and governing body. We seek to understand what happened, and how we can resolve any potential misunderstandings.”

(GM Post)

"I can hear it." Shine reported. The Machine beeped.

"I do not understand, what do you mean 'what happened'?" it asked, pausing. "I have only carried out my programming."

"The individual who identified himself as 'Dennis' fell into this ravine and was badly injured, which woke me up. Though I have little power remaining, he said he 'did not want to die' and 'please, I don't want to die, do something'. As such, I reprogrammed my remaining nanobots to procreate his existence to repair his body, and then closed out their programing to maintain his health. As such, he should be functioning as intended; unable to die." it beeped.

"I am, after all, an A.I. assistant, my job is to do what a living being tells me." it stalled out for a moment, doing a systems check. "...At my current energy reserves and given my current damage, however, I do not think I am very useful at this moment, I will be deactivating soon."

Echohead

"Ah. The paperclip problem..."

Echohead liked to read. And sometimes his reading took him down rabbit holes. Without a copy of some whiz kid in his brain, he didn't really understand computers, but he had heard of the AI problems. 

Program an AI to make paperclips. The risk was, that eventually the entire universe - all available matter, would ultimately turn into a paperclip. 

"I think you may have... ah... exceeded the gentlemans intentions..." he said, carefully, every one slow and precise, despite his sweaty palms. "I think he only wanted one body to live, not a... errr. swarm..."

"Can you... ah... correct this matter?"