New Age Mythology (IC)

(Golden Star Post)

"Why?" Michael frowned and thought about it. There were plenty of reasons, right? He could jsut s ay 'because he didn't want to see people hurt', or 'it was the right thing to do', or 'he wanted to impress Carmen'. Those things were arguably all true. He did want to help people. Could he really narrow why he did it down to one reason? That was asking a lot.

"You can't really boil it down to one reason, can you? People have a ton of different reasons for doing what they do; it's what makes us different from animals, that we can have so many conflicting and compatible emotions working together to make us do things. I can't just decide on one reason why I did it."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puma stood next to Star, craning her head a bit. It didn't seem like tell wanted to fight or try and escape at the moment, puzzling her as she looked to Tell. He was speaking out, like a sort of speech he seemed to have prepared for himself. Carmen wasn't sure how to really respond to something like this, having expected further conflict, "I'm not sure what you're on about. We do this because it is the right thing to do and for some of us, the only thing we can do to give back," she'd respond back. Not being much for words like Michael was, she tried to come up with a reason but in truth, she really didn't know much about it either. Puma was compelled naturally to do so partially, but in a sort of way had no clue exactly why. Having attended the school for well over a year, it felt more coincidental that she had chosen the path.

"Sometimes, it's only natural to use what God has given you to do good in this world," Carmen says, standing straight up next to Michael.

(GM Post)

"...Hrmm, Alright. I can accept that. It's the right thing to do, there's many reasons, it's something to give back...it's the gift of God. As long as someone never falters, then their reasoning can be whatever it needs to be. Even if it's for self-promotion, if the person is devoted and doesn't falter in doing good, then you can't hate someone's reasons. It's more about what they push you to do." He said.

"So that's fine. Those are good enough reasons." he decided, slipping off the branch to land in front of them and hoisting his crossbow over his shoulder. "You might need to actually pick one instead of avoiding the question, glowy boy, but I like you, cat girl. You know what you're about." He said with genuine approval.

"Alright. You can send me back now. I've gotten what I wanted out of this." he said. "Maybe I shouldn't have come out in the first place...but it was pretty fun anyway."

(Golden Star post)

Michael did look at least a little embarrassed about being called out by a fairy tale character for not having good enough reasons for doing heroism. It might nag at him for awhile, but at least it was going to end without him having to try and outrace a speeding crossbow bolt to save an innocent bystander. But he did also recognize that, in some ways, this simulacrum of a fairy tale character had said that he wasn't good enough, but Carmen was. So he frowned and offered the beaten up old book to her.

"...Why don't you do it, Puma?" He asked her.

Carmen was still rather confused to what the purpose of such a question was though there was a growing suspicion as Michael seemed to grow troubled from it. He avoided the question mostly, even she getting a decent understanding of the issue that such a non-answer was. There'd have to be a time when she could talk to him about it later, considering how much he acted like a rock for her, the best she could do was be the rock in turn as she grabbed the book he was carrying politely and opened the book before Tell.  It was the least she could do she guessed, relaxing herself now that there wouldn't be a fight at all, simply sucking him inside the book, a piece of cake in comparison to what they had done before with previous folk tale characters.

"Thank you."

(Golden Star Post)

With another burst of acrid smoke and weird smell, William Tell returned to his part of the book and the old thing snapped shut and then locked. It seemed to be truly closed for now; no entry allowed.

"...Well. Another problem solved, huh?" Michael said with a grin. Don't worry too much about what just happened, he thought to himself. "...We should probably get out of here before Doctor Metropolis or someone shows up to clean stuff up and ask what happened." he knew she didn't like stuff like that, so he wanted to get her out of the way of anything she wasn't comfortable with.

"We can go drop this off back at the library and then get out of here, if you're ready. I'll even carry you back and fly over."

• 2 weeks later...

Wincing at the smell, Carmen could finally breathe easy now that these rampaging toons were finally gone. Sure, there was plenty of damages that the local law enforcement and city works would have to fix, but such was the life of a young superhero now that they had luckily managed to stop the threat. Tell's words would resonate with Puma but would be put to the back of her mind as she slammed the pages of the book closed. A literal bookend to the madness of the past several hours over what was supposed to be a nice and comfortable date between the both of them.

"You're right... I wouldn't mind though a lift back though~" she spoke with a sly smile as she held the old book with both hands, making her way back over to him.

"I do find it strange that the lady seemingly knew so much about all this, but I guess it makes sense and all. Not the weirdest thing in this city."

(Golden Star)

"Well, if nothing else, I can definitely give you a ride back." he said with a grin. "You hold onto the book, I'll hold onto you." he slipped a hand and arm under Carmen's own and slowly lifted off with her. He didn't want to carry her bridal style- he figured that'd be a bit weird here-, so he kept a grip on her as they started to fly back. Once he got into the air he stalled out a little, stopping the glow around him and the speed at which they traveled so it was more relaxing. 

"No, I think you're right. That was a bit weird. We should ask her about it when we get back, be thorough in our investigation. Stuff like this shouldn't just 'happen', even if Freedom is the sort of place where this isn't that surprising or it happens fairly often." he agreed with her.

(GM Post)

When the pair returned to the Library, the managers and the people in the library, they were more than efficaous in their praise and thanks to the two young heroes, happily taking the book back and returning it to it's place in the exhibit. While there were a few singed hairs and arrow marks in the building and the area in general, the library had avoided most of the damage, and it was happily opened back up almost immediately- it had been ready before the Claremont students had even gotten the book back-. 

However, the strange librarian the pair had seen chasing after the escaped fairy tale characters was gone, and none of the ones working knew who the pair were talking about; there had been no reading from the book scheduled, or even a kid's storytime at all, leaving the entire situation with a giant question mark at the end.

Who was that woman, and would they see her again?

Time would Tell.