Rita Kord Dormitories, Third Floor

Claremont Academy, Freedom City, New Jersey

Saturday, September 7, 2024

Although it was a rather cloudy day, the weather was warm and pleasant in Bayview Heights. Once again the start of another school year was drawing near, with classes starting in just a couple days. As was tradition, this mean that the Claremont Academy campus was a scene of general chaos as students and their families made their way to the school’s dormitories to get the students moved in for the year. Two of the older students tasked with trying to maintain some semblance of order for the third floor of the Kord dormitory were Carmen Arrache and Iris Miller.

A sixteen-year-old girl exited one the stairwell at the west end of the floor, pulling behind her a large suitcase with one hand, while the other held a violin case. Lynn Conners had her long blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail and was dressed in a navy blue skit and a white button up blouse. She tried her best to have something of neutral expression on her face as she started down the hallway toward the room she would be sharing with Mattie Hopper for the year. The blonde teen could have already been to her room if she had wanted to, but did not want to so openly use her speed (she would save that for putting things away in her room).

Instead, she had taken the time walking from the parking lot to try to calm herself after the ride from North Bay with her adopted brother. Lawrence Harrow reminded her so much of her own brother (although some of his mannerism and accent were completely different) that being around him too long often triggered memories of what had happened that lead to her barely escaping her own timeline and eventually ending up in this one. Thankfully she was feeling a bit better at the moment, the last thing she wanted was to have a nervous breakdown the first day at Claremont.

(King Cole IIII)

This sucked. 

In general, not in specific. Renee Cole King was not built for mass chaos, she was built for silence in her room, for a new production ofWicked  in her headphones. This was none of that.

Her parents had dropped her off at the gate because Renee had never told them that she was a superhero, they didn't know that she had been sent to Claremont after a run in with another Hero who'd found her causing perhaps a bit too much mayhem compared to the help she was doing- she thanked that hero profusely everytime she thought of it, because she knew her parents wouldn't approve-, and thought it was just a fancier, more appropriate school for a straight A student who was finding herself bored and without friends in her current school. Not that she had any friends at the new school either. 

Still, she was going to do her best.

So the teen was slouching her way through the dorms stairwells with her suitcase. She was always a little hunched over, so she looked shorter than she really was, her blond hair was pulled into a ponytail, and her brown eyes were behind a pair of glasses. She had a sweatshirt on for the Freedom City Comets, a normal pair of jeans and sneakers but at least a somewhat bright royal purple belt around her waist. Despite her totally normal look, and startled deer looks at any sudden bursts of chaos around her, she was being very protective of the suitcase she was carrying, keeping it close like an armored guard protecting a sack of money. 

Despite all of this, almost unconciously, she was very adept at getting out of the way; of making sure she wasn't getting sideswiped by a moving trunk or another student as she made her way through the minefield of new peers. She didn't know who her roommate was, but she slowly dipped her way towards room 310, trying her best not to stick out too much.

BOUNCE!

"Lynn, this is a-ma-zing!Mattie shouts from behind Lynn, as she hurries up the staircase after her friend. Unlike Lynn, Mattie is far less fashionable, dressed in a pair of well worn denim shorts that reach to just above her knees and a purple t-shirt. She has a purple and white flannel dress shirt tied around her waist and is wearing a pair of likewise well worn purple and white sneakers. Her short black hair is a mess right now, but she doesn't really mind. Mattie likes purple, obviously! She is carrying a huge, old br suitcase full of all her clothes and stuff that she had sent from back home, once she realized that she simply didn't have enough, pulling it up the steps one by one. 

"Just look at all those people! Do you think they all got powers? Do you think they can do something awesome?" 

Reaching the top of the stairs, she hurries after Lynn, almost bumping into Renee along the way, but managing to stop herself just before she does so.

"Oh, sorry! Didn't mean to almost run you over, but all of this is just so neat, don't you think so? I'm Mattie, guess we're on the same floor?"

Slipstream

Lynn slowed down slightly so Mattie could catch up. The blonde teen looked back at her friend, managing a half smile at Mattie's rather infectious excitement. It was sometimes easy to forget that not everyone grew up in a family of superpowered individuals as she had. That thought brought a slightly sad and pained look to her face.

But she quickly pushed it aside, taking a deep breath to keep herself under control. "I expect most have powers, and many can probably do some really incredible things." She replied before preparing to start back down the hall once more.

That was when Mattie almost bumped into another girl in the hallway before quickly apologizing. "Sorry." Lynn offered as well. "I'm Lynn."

Spore

Harper Hale, tall (for her age), lithe, and unfashionably dressed, stepped out of the taxi, hauling luggage that was a little too heavy. But that wouldn't stop her, even if she was sweating by the time she reached her floor. 

She paused, grunting for breath, wiping her brow. It was good exercise, she told herself. 

The only expensive item of clothing she wore was sunglasses-designer, expensive. And she wore them indoors. 

She trundled down the corridor, bag over a shoulder, two heavier bags wheeled in each hand, and stopped by the conglomeration of youths. 

"You bet," she said to the comment about people having powers. "I'm Harper."

Her smile was warm but inside she felt her guts twist. Girls dorm. She should feel comfortable here. Why didn't she?

Cerebral

Iris, much like her brother Daniel, had spent most of her summer in and around the Campus, as such she had more or less, already unpacked what little stuff she had in her dorm room. If only she could find a part time job, then they wouldn't have to rely on handouts to get new things such as clothing. Speaking of clothing. Iris was wearing a simple pair of demun shorts and a white blouse, with running shoes. Her short brown hair was neatly cut...all in all, Iris was ready for the new year.

She would head into the main lobby where she noticed the new students all gathered together, whether it be by choice or my circumstance. She did recognise one of them, Lynn, from the Arcade. 

Soon all four of them would hear a female voice in their heads, though with a notable delay between the telepathic greeting, Iris had to greet one at a time after all.

"Welcome to Claremont Academy. My name is Iris, and I may not be a senior yet, but if you have any questions, or need any help, just call for me.

Should any of them look around, they would spot Iris looking directly at them as she made her way over.

Edited by Dracostern

(King Cole III)

More people. Renee barely avoided the loud one but still went on a bit of a swing to catch herself. Then the prep. Oh god a cheerleader. Were there cheerleaders at this school? Were these the cool kids? Was this going to be bullying?

She was panicking and holding her luggage. A third person, who was far less loud, aggressive, or cheerleady, That was nice. She was tall though. Renee had to take a moment to take a deep breath, looking around between the three.

"I...I guess it's neat. I'm...I'm Renee. Renee King." she stuttered out, holding her suitcase close to her chest. "I don't...have powers or anything." She clarified. Then someone said something in her mind and she went back to being a cornered rat, glancing around until she saw the other student approaching them. Was that a...a student...something? Some sort of hall monitor? Was she in trouble? She didn't know but now she was panicky again.

To the outside, it was just Renee standing somewhat still and holding her suitcase, while her mind raced on the inside.

"It's a pleasure to meet you all."

Cerebral

Upon realising she had startled one of the new girls, Iris would pause for a moment and look towards Renee, her hands raced in a symbol of peace. "I apologise." She spoke out loud now, not wanting to scare her anymore then she might have already. "I am only here to meet you all. I'm just a fellow student, a junior, but a student none the less." It seems as though Renee was not in trouble at all. 

BOUNCE!

Mattie freezes completely the moment she hears a voice in her head, her head turning back and forth between the people here that she doesn't know to try and figure out who did it, before settling on Iris when she apologized to Renee.

"Did you just mindspeak to me?" she asks, a slightly suspicious tone to her voice, before returning to the previous wide grin and enthusiasm. "That is so freaking cool! How'd you do it? How's it work? Do you gotta think real hard at us to do it? Is it difficult?" 

She is practically bouncing around Iris. 

"What's it feel like? Can you read thoughts too? What am I thinking right now?"

All of Mattie's thoughts are, of course, all about how awesome and exciting this is.

Mz Grue
"Who knew that what you needed to do to impress people!" the voice came not from the young woman but a small cure, that didn't seem to catch the light, perched on top of a trunk floating behind her

"I'm sorry Mother Unit is a little tetchy today..." the young woman gave a little embarrassed shrug "I'm Daphne Celeste, a pleasure to meet you all!"

She could feel the enthusiasm coming off Mattie, let alone what was leaking from her telepathically, but chose not to say anything. She didn't want to show up Iris who she remembered meeting just a few months ago. And besides the keen young students' experience, the wild and wacky potential friends was something she knew well from various media!

Slipstream

Lynn noted that Renee seemed a bit uneasy as she and Mattie stopped to speak with her, and relaxed a bit when another girl, Harper arrived. The blonde introduced herself to Harper and took note when Renee mentioned not having powers, but did not comment on it, not wanting to draw likely unwelcome attention on the girl.

It was then that the sixteen-year-old heard the mental voice in her head, causing her to tense for the microsecond it took her to recognize the mental voice. Glancing down the hallway Lynn spotted Iris approaching them. "Hi Iris, good to see you again." She replied, managing a half smile.

And then a sixth girl arrived, appearing to move a large trunk with telekinesis. "Hi Daphne, nice to meet you. I'm Lynn." The blonde said in greeting.

(King Cole III)

"Hello..." At least there were more people now. More people meant she could fade more into the background right? That would be ideal. So she slumped back a bit. Another person who could manipulate things with their mind? Was that a common power here at this school? She'd need to be prepared, just in case...She didn't want them knowing too much about her family. But now she was regretting that she hadn't planned this out right. If she switched right now, would they think it was weird? Maybe she should hold onto that for later. She didn't want to freak people out. She could do this; It was a brand new school, she could totally reinvent herself. Well maybe not totally, but at least a little.

"What is...Mother Unit?" she asked, looking at the object on the floating trunk. "Some sort of computer? or a digital assistant? I run Linux on my laptop."

La Puma Negra

"You heard her," spoke a louder voice that came from behind Liz. Out would come from the third floors first room a young woman that was seemingly more cat than person. A taller figure than Iris that had begrudgingly accepted the role as a floor leader alongside the telepathic twin, pointing to herself as she stood beside her, "You got any questions just let Iris and Carmen know, ya got that."

In truth, the Senior student of the duo wasn't too interested in the role of providing help and more towards that of the disciplinarian as she stood there, crossing her arms now and covering over the initials of her Claremont T-Shirt. Even for the now cooler air of the vastly approaching fall season, she still wore jean shorts, seeming to prefer overheating herself given the black hair that covered over her body.

Given Carmen's dislike of her thoughts being read, she'd still accept the apology. Instead, she'd stand idly by as a speedster of a sort asked several questions to the matter, scoffing, "Calm down. One at a time."

Spore

Harper took careful note of the names and faces, but alas memory was not her best feature. Smart? Well, yes, at least for a high school. But this was Claremont and the kids here could be superhuman in intelligence. Harper would not be the smartest in the class, if she had ever been (a second or third place was the usual in school). 

Smart? Yes. But memory? Not so much. 

"I have two questions..." she said, her breath returning. 

"Firstly, does anyone have super strength and feels like helping me lug these suitcases into my room?" she said with a smile, scanning the assortment of girls. 

"Secondly, does this place have a kitchen? If it does, I'm hungry and I'm going to cook us up a meal!"

One thing she could do was cook. And that was always, in her experience, a welcome skill!

Cerebral

Iris had a hard time keeping track of Bounce as she well...bounced around her. "Yes I can read your thoughts." She stated plainly. Maybe introducing oneself outright was not a good idea, as Iris could not handle getting swarmed like this. Thank goodness Carmen showed up, along with Mz Grue. Iris was saved! She would take a step back from the overly excited Bounce, and nod in greeting to Lynn. Then she turned to Spore.

"I can take your backs to your room for you with my telekinesis. As for a kitchen, as far as I'm aware those are staff only I'm afraid. Still cooking is a very good skill to have." As she spoke, Iris would attempt to lift Spore's bags with her powers. "Actually, a question for all newcomers. Do you each know your room numbers?"

BOUNCE!

"You can mindspeak too!?" 

Mattie is freaking out, in a very good way for her, as she whirls around to look at Daphne, and then back to Carmen as she introduces herself and oh god she's a cat and in a day full of best things ever that has to be the absolute best thing ever!

"Ohmigodyoulooksoawesome!" she takes a deep breath. "Sorry, sorry! I'll try to calm down, but this is just so exciting!"

She is about ready to launch into a bunch of questions for Carmen (Does she look like that all the time? How does she get her fur to look that great?), but Iris' question derails that train of thoughts, and instead she holds up her hand. "Sure do! I'm in 306 with Lynn!"

Slipstream

There was quite a crowd starting to form in the hall, and Lynn figured that her and Mattie’s bags being there did not help with that. The blonde teen glanced at her roommate. "I'll get our bags to our room so they are not in the way." She said.

The sixteen-year-old them became a blur as she moved through the hall to the room, dropping off her suitcase and violin case. Barely a second had passed before she was back to collect Mattie's bags and then had them dropped off in the room as well.

The blonde teen was then back at the group, coming to a quick stop out of a blur of motion and a *WOOSH* of air.

Mz Grue

"Hi all pleased to meet you!" 

As she spoke she sent Mother Unit gently spinning through the air until it was just in front of Renee.

"One of the most intelligent General Artificial Intelligences on this planet and I reduced to such indignities..." her surfaces shimmed slightly as she spoke "And I do not draw pictures and I will not provide text with a prompt so don't ask!"

"She has been in an argument with a Chatbot all morning, that's why she's in a foul move. Apparently, they're going to finish the discussion when the Chatbot gets off shift!"

And yes I'm telepathic as well she told Mattie But it's natural so alas I can't teach you how it's done. Don't worry though I won't read your mind with permission!

"Looks like I'm in Room 312!" 

Spore

"312? Me too! How about that?" said Harper, smiling at Mz Grue. 

"Harper, Harper Hale. Havent quite got a code name yet. I'm thinking of Spore.... Don't ask. It ain't pretty."

Although Daphen did look Pretty. Almost as tall as Harper, cool hair, cool smile. Harper looked pretty good most of the time, a mixture of genes and surgery. But with blotchy fungal patches? A bit less so. 

The sight of floating suitcases brought her eyebrows and mouth upwards. Surpise, Awe. "Thanks..." she said, trying to wrap her brain around the plethora of amazements she was witnessing. 

"Right, roomie..." she said, turning back to Daphen. "Time to check out the room, I guess. TV? Playstation? Hammock? Potted plant? Whatdya think?"

Edited by Supercape

(King Cole III)

"Oh uh.." She blushed and looked genuinely ashamed at having upset the Mother Unit. "I...I wouldn't ask you to do art. I mean. If you want to do art you could. But I do my own art. I wouldn't need you to do that. I just...I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were a real artificial intelligence. That's incredible. My apologies for upsetting you." she struggled out. "Please forgive me?" she asked.

These other students...there were a lot of them, and they all had such big personalities. Except maybe the Harper one.

"I'm...I'm in Room 310. If any of you are Room 310." she smiled. "Do you play Playstation, Harper? Have you played Demon's Souls? I really like the remake they put out recently. It's so pretty. Or any of the rest of you, do any of you play any sort of games like that?" she was trying to be a little more social, hoping this worked out in her favor this time.

La Puma Negra

Carmen looks rather annoyed as Mattie speaks, excitedly animated in all ways one could be it appeared as the werecat stood, looking away briefly with hands on her hips. It was a series of what sounded like quick fire questions, or maybe not as the young new student seemed to be actually excited to see her instead of scared or weirded out by her, "Pipe down already or something alright. You got work to do to get all your stuff together, don't ya?" she says with a voice that was filled with authority.

"Baja la velocidad, ¿por qué no la haces?" she says in Spanish, relaxing for a few moments as the new student seemed to preoccupy herself with some new form of machination.

Spore

Harpers face was clearly crestfallen at the lack of kitchen. Back at the Vineyard they had a francophile approach; anyone was welcome at the kitchen, and Harper had been cooking for a couple of years. She was no chef, but she knew how to make a good meal. And she had packed plenty of herbs and spices. Her shoulders sagged. 

But! She knew how to speak Spanish. 

"Espanol!" she said to La Puma. "*At least I can practice speaking with my tongue!*" 

Fluent, she told herself. Fluent-ish. OK maybe she needed a bit of practice. Maybe she was a bit rusty. But she had spent plenty of time in France and Spain as a kid. Vineyard family.

"Playstation? Sure..." she said to King Cole III. "I mean, if its allowed. I heard some rumour somewhere that someone played a computer game on campus and it burned down a tree or something..."

BOUNCE!

"Aw, that's awesome, but don't worry, I can do all sorts of stuff too!" Mattie responds to Daphne. That's so interesting, how are someone naturally a mind speaker/reader? So many awesome people here.

"You're absolutely right!" Mattie says in response to Carmen. She do have all her stuff to get to her room, but before she can get to it, Lynn is already there. After the first moment of surprise is gone, Mattie turns back to Lynn and grins. "Thanks Lynn! You're the best!"

Lynn had told her some about where she came from, all the bad stuff that she'd been through, so of course Mattie has decided that she will do her best to try ti helpand encourage her and just do anything she could. Even a small thank you hopefully helps.

"I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish," she says, sounding a bit sheepish. "The school back in Rumblefall only really taught English, and I'm not sure everyone in class even got a passing grade there, but at least they all had other stuff they liked and were good at!"

Mz Grue

There was the slightest of pauses, and those who were telepathic could hear a buzz like an overhead whisper, they somehow this featureless cube seemed to soften in mood

"I'm sorry that was uncalled of me!" her tone was much more friendly, almost motherly "It's always a pleasure to meet such a nice young woman as yourself... I'm sure all of you are just as pleasant!" she gently floated back to her original position

"Besides her art is terrible!" Daphne added with a grin "Can't seem to get the hang of appendages for some reason!" carefully balancing several conversations, along with all her luggage, she glanced over a Spore "Oh I've never really gotten into video games, too much violence to aliens for my tastes!"

(King Cole III)

Renee was really starting to sweat now, between the sheer amount of people and what felt like a hundred staring eyes, even if there weren't a hundred staring eyes. She wished she could go invisible or something. Wished she had a power or speed, like that cheerleader girl had done. She looked intimidating to Renee, too perfect and pretty. It was scary. This school was scary; it wasn't the powers that bothered her, it was the way they all seemed so cool and confident. She wished she was like that. She sidled over towards the blonde girl- Lynn-, because that seemed to get her out of the direct line of fire of all these other girls, and whispered to her.

"How, uh...how do you know where everything is? Did you get a map or something?"