The Black Crescent--Advice Appreciated

Blarghy

This guy's supposed to be one half of a duo (other character upcoming from Sophistemon), which is perhaps important to keep in mind; I pieced together several different old ideas to fit the guy he'll mostly be running with.  His moon theme, for example, will fit with his partner's sun theme, and he's ranged to counterbalance the other guy's melee, and so on.  I knew I wanted to play a nimble Defense and Attack heavy type, and after seeing Deadpool, I got the craving for an arrogant talker.

So, my primary concerns: I'd like to make sure that A) the character fits with the forum's preexisting fey folklore (shouldn't be a problem, I don't think, from what Heritage and TT have told me), B) that the character should fit in decently at Claremont, and C) that the character isn't just plain silly.  I think the name fails that last test a bit, but I also think that's appropriate for a teenager who wants to be cool.  It does, however, have relevance, as explained in the fluff. 

Also, in case it isn't obvious, his human name is a reference to Robin Goodfellow, courtesy of Sophistemon, my official Name Guy. 

large.Kreeco.png.7abfcd88dd9a56804807028  

Player Name: Blarghy
Character Name: The Black Crescent
Power Level: 10 (150/150PP)
Trade-Offs: +5 Attack / -5 Damage, +5 Defense / -5 Toughness
Unspent Power Points: 0

In Brief: Brash and nimble teenage fey, unaware of his heritage and left in the mortal world as a kind of supernatural Witness Protection Program.  

Residence: Claremont dorms (family lives in the West End)
Base of Operations: Claremont Academy
Catchphrase: None

Alternate Identity: Robert Goodman (True Name: Kreeco)
Identity: Secret
Birthplace: Avalon, Arcadia, or so many other names—the Land of the Faeries
Affiliations: Claremont Academy
Family: Justin (father), Claire (mother), Abby (oldest sister), Faythe, Patrick (oldest brother), Christopher, Ethan, and Valerie. 

Description:
Apparent Age: 16
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 5’ 10”
Weight: 120 lbs.
Eyes: Bluer than blue
Hair: Blacker than black

Rob (he hates that name; he can feel that it doesn’t belong to him, and so he cultivates nicknames whenever possible) is a thing of sculpted beauty.  Nearly androgynous, snowy skin, hair cut from a starless night sky (it hangs almost to his shoulders, normally straight, but will do anything he wants with minimal effort; he carries a comb in his pocket and plays with it habitually), eyes so blue they almost glow, a perfect aquiline nose, nice jaw line, flawlessly symmetrical features, the lithe build of a professional gymnast, and the cherry on top, a voice that can bring listeners to tears. 

His grins are roguish, and he moves like he’s made of water—like he’s an angel’s feather floating through life on a divine wind.  Were he a human, he’d be undisputedly blessed.  By fey standards, he’s merely lucky.

Adorning his face are snakebite silver piercings against his made-for-pouting lips, plus a stud of the same material in his tongue.  Being from a middle-class family with far too many children, Rob’s wardrobe is mostly band T-shirts and jeans, but he can make burlap sacks look like royal finery.  However, of special note is his charm bracelet (something a boy might be teased for, were Rob not very difficult to taunt).  It jingles against his wrist only when he wants it to, his movements being otherwise entirely silent.  Upon this simple steel chain, he carries good luck charms from numerous cultures: the traditional four-leaf clover (laminated), a rabbit’s foot, an Egyptian ankh, miniature horseshoe, evil eye, scarab, and a three-legged toad.  Odd against the others but the only ornament of real power is the charm with which his fey parents left him: a silver crescent moon curling around a piece of black hematite.  Rob can feel the importance of it, despite a peculiar compulsion to not question its origins.  From this item, he chose his hero’s name: The Black Crescent, a title that, it must be admitted, he likes mostly because he’s a teenager too concerned with coolness. 

Power Descriptions:
This young hero’s agility and personal magnetism are extreme enough to count as powers; he makes both look easy and natural.  Concerning combat, Crescent can turn anything into a ranged weapon, thanks to hereditary aptitude.  Had he been raised among his kin, this talent would’ve been turned to archery, but instead he learned himself by feeling the rightness of a spoon, playing card, or ceramic cup in his fingers, begging to be thrown with machine-like accuracy. 

History:

You’ve heard this story before.

The fey don’t need seers for prophecy.  Oh, some are better at reading the threads of fate than others, but the Wyrd plays a drumbeat to which all dance.  When the word came down, that some union of the Cheten and Lova clans was destined to bring ruin to both, everyone in the two families, from the elders to fringe cousins, could feel the truth of it in their bones.  Rivalry already divided these ancient tribes, Unseelie servants of the Winter Court, but that aversion was close kinship compared to their distrust afterward. 

Cheten, the Moon Lancers, knights and mounted archers in glorious silver who took to the fey battlefields or even burned entire mortal towns in ages past, for slave raids or intimidating messages or pure, dark-hearted glee.

Lova, the Shadows-that-Cut, born assassins sent on the word of Mab and her predecessors to kill clean or messy, subtle or gross, her rivals in her own court and that of other seasons.

Hate comes easy to the Unseelie, so hate one another they did, until two of their youngest, one night at court, set eyes upon each other from across the glittering crystal floor.  …But you’ve heard this story before.  When the Wyrd speaks, it won’t be denied, not even by immortal voices. 

So they fled together, Kels Lova (mighty Kels, the Willow Paladin, Silver Fish, Bloody-Bow-Kels, she who singlehandedly held the Salt Gate against the Redcap Rebellion and brought the leader’s head, dripping cap and all, to set before Mab’s feet) and Delorn Cheten (terrible Delorn, the Sapphire-Eyed Killer, Hidden Knife, Sing-Sweet-Delorn, he who infiltrated the Rose Sanctum of the Summer Court and stole the holy Ruby Staff for the glory of his clan).  They fled upon Kels’ tireless fey horse, Delorn’s arms around her slim waist, their illegitimate baby swaddled in the saddlebag, and both their clans behind them.

Both had crossed into the mortal world before, to kill or kidnap, but never for refuge.  This place was different than they remembered.  Towering structures, sprawling cities, humans who no longer knew to fear them, and iron—too much iron.  They could not stay, but neither could they give up their child to certain death.  They let the Wyrd guide them, and because even it has a sense of humor, they came in the dark to the home of the Goodmans, where the seventh child of this large Catholic family laid in his crib. 

They did a terrible thing that night, while the mortals slept.  Even by Unseelie standards, the ritual that would safeguard their offspring was foul.  When it concluded, only one tiny shape wiggled in the blankets, and this one didn’t, and never would again, cry like a normal baby. 

To complete the disguise, Delorn and Kels bound the boy in powerful magic, sealed with a charm of both their houses—Kels’ moon and Delorn’s black stone, this time hematite instead of a black pearl, the iron in it vital to their spell—and his True Name, Kreeco, to hide him and suppress most of his fey nature. 

They shed soft tears, these cruel killers without guilt or mercy or love for any but themselves and one another, and then rode back into the night, to flee this world of iron.  They hoped that perhaps they’d escape their clans’ wrath after all, return someday to raise young Kreeco.  But you already know this story, and when the Chetens and Lovas caught their traitorous kin, the punishment was most unkind. 

The years rolled on.  You know this story, too.

The Goodmans tried for even more children after Robert, but the Wyrd could not allow it.  Who ever heard of a hero who was not the eldest or youngest?  And of course, the seventh child has power in and of itself.  So, Claire and Justin satisfied themselves with one last lovely boy, too beautiful for words, too fast for eyes.  They could deny him nothing.  His siblings were chided for staying out past curfew, or daring to try cigarettes, or asking to skip church, but Rob’s silver tongue could save him from any punishment.  Even when he abandoned Catholicism entirely (feeling, in his bones, that something in that cathedral didn’t want him there), or came home with piercings boldly displayed on his face, or gradually wore away his welcome at school after school with pranks and stunts until only one was left: Claremont Academy.  Not a place for normal humans, but one look at the way Rob moved, one display of his impossible aim with impossible weaponry, and the staff signed his name to the roster. 

By this time, unknown to his family, he had already acquired a silky uniform of gray and blue, and taken on a name befitting both his ego and the ornament on his bracelet.  And you certainly know this story.

Personality & Motivation:

Robert is perpetually confident and easygoing, quick with a joke, and hardly ever rattled.  This is balanced by a flighty fickleness born from his fey nature and his youth.  Combined, most teachers can see him coming a mile away and reach for the Aspirin bottle with a heavy sigh.  He loves to show off and will flirt with literally anyone, within legal limits.

Although not exactly spiritual, he has a strong sense of fate and believes firmly in karma.  Because he’s an absolute pirate with the little things, he tries to make up for it by doing right when it really counts.  Besides, helping people gets him the attention he craves. 

Powers & Tactics:

Hard to hit, even harder to find in the first place when he doesn’t wish it, and wielding mundane objects with crippling skill, The Black Crescent (normally just Crescent) can breeze through average thugs.  Serious supervillains are more of a challenge, but he hasn’t come up against many; the few times he’s crept upon such a scene, his tactics are supportive of tougher heroes, even if they don’t know he’s there.  He can distract and pester enemies, often just a disembodied voice from the shadows, or flick a paperclip, bit of concrete, glass shard, or what-have-you to set up the devastating finish by heavy-hitters.  A few cops on the West End have found themselves facing overwhelming odds, only to see some tiny object pop the monster on the side of its head, turning its attention away just right, so that their next bullet really strikes home. 

Because you never know when the costume will come in handy, Crescent keeps his folded impossibly tight and tucked away on his person at almost all times; he has a talent, in general, for hiding things he doesn’t want found.  All it takes is the barest distraction for him to transform from plainclothes teenager to hero, and he’s very good at making his own commotions when none come naturally. 

Complications:

But Thou Must!: The Wyrd has plans for Crescent.  Aside from his ultimate destiny, he’s fated to be a (roguish) hero.  Neglecting this with cowardice, or even simply being boring, should negate his Luck ranks for the rest of the adventure, until he makes amends by doing something really cool.

Secret Identity: He isn’t as careful as most heroes, certainly not as careful as he should be with so many people close to him that enemies could prey upon, but Crescent does try to keep his identity under wraps.  It helps that he’s very difficult to follow and good at knowing when someone’s trying. 

Wanna Bet?: Crescent loves games of chance and sometimes even plays fair, but either way, he can’t turn down a gambling challenge. 

Abilities: 46PP
Strength: 10 (+0)
Dexterity: 30 (+10)
Constitution: 16 (+3)
Intelligence: 10 (+0)
Wisdom: 10 (+0)
Charisma: 30 (+10)

Combat: 10 + 12 = 22PP
Initiative: +10
Attack: +5 Base, +15 Improvised Throwing Weapons

Grapple: +5
Defense: +6 Base, +15 Dodge, +3 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -2

Saving Throws: +5 +0 +9 = 14PP
Toughness: +5 (+3 Base, +2 Defensive Roll)
Fortitude: +8 (+3 Base, +5)
Reflex: +10 (+10 Base)
Will: +9 (+0 Base, +9)

Skills: 96R = 24PP

Acrobatics 15 (+25)

Bluff 8 (+18/+25)

Diplomacy 8 (+18/+25)

Notice 15 (+15)

Perform (Sing) 15 (+25)

Sense Motive 10 (+10)

Sleight of Hand 10 (+20)

Stealth 15 (+25)

Feats: 41PP

Acrobatic Bluff

Ambidexterity

Attack Specialization (Improvised Throwing Weapons) 5

Attractive 2

Defensive Roll

Distract (Bluff)

Dodge Focus 9

Evasion 2

Fascinate (Perform (Sing))

Hide in Plain Sight

Power Attack

Precise Shot 2

Quick Change

Quick Draw

Ranged Pin

Set-Up

Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Bluff, Sleight of Hand, Stealth)

Taunt

Teamwork 3

Throwing Mastery 5

Powers (All Magic): 3PP

Luck 3 (Enhanced Feat) [3]

Drawbacks: 0PP

DC Block

ATTACK                              RANGE    SAVE            EFFECT

Unarmed                                                         Touch         DC 15 Toughness     Damage (Physical)

Improvised Throwing                                       Ranged     DC 20 Toughness     Damage (Physical)

Totals: Abilities (46) + Combat (22) + Saving Throws (14) + Skills (24) + Feats (41) + Powers (3) - Drawbacks (0) = 150 Power Points

Edited by Blarghy

His attacks with Sneak Attack break caps. With the Sneak Attack factored in he has a +15 Attack and a +10 Damage; that's beyond what a PL 10 can have. I'd get rid of the Sneak Attack and maybe give him a few more ways to get folks flat-footed. His exotic saves are also higher than they need to be, so you could shave 3 PP off there.

This is a personal thing, but if his luck is a supernatural ability I would list it as an enhanced feat under his Powers section. That way it would also be nullified by anti-magic or anti-fey spells and the like.

Sneak Attack is more of an oversight; I should've included it as an exception in the Tradeoff section, but I figured it went without saying.  The plan was for him to be able to sneak up on tougher enemies, to have a higher damage potential if no hard-hitting heroes were around to do the job; presumably he'd only get to use +10 of his attack bonus in such scenarios (and if he's reduced to melee, then it won't matter anyway).  I do like having those feats; I think they're thematic for a sneaky ninja-type, so I'd rather hang onto them, even if they don't see a whole lot of use.  I also think it's a good backup tactic, especially since he has virtually no melee capabilities otherwise; any flat-footed enemies vulnerable to Sneak Attack hopefully won't need his full attack bonus to hit anyway. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "exotic saves"?  Just his Fortitude, Reflex, and Will?  I thought those were average at best.  Depending on what you're referring to, I could use some of those points on feats like Acrobatic Bluff.  You're right about flat-footed options; just plain feinting is alright, but more options would be good. 

I agree about Luck.  It's riskier this way, but more thematic.  I'll make that change, and the others, after work. 

You can't really choose to not use part of your attack bonus; unless there's a situational bonus and the situation changes, you're always swinging with your states bonus. I believe there's rules for pulling punches, i.e. not attacking with an effect's full rank bonus, but attack bonus is always what it is.

If you're going to keep sneak attack you'll need to drop your Attack bonus so it's within caps for your PL.  The only things that automatically correct to caps are create object and move object as they are not primarily for damage and even then its more that you're forced to pull your punch to within caps.

However sneak attack can still be worthwhile if you pick up some good ways to deny opponents their dodge bonus like feint feats or stealth/concealment.

Alternatively you could pick up power attack and use it when catching people unaware with a descriptor more along the lines of precision strikes than wild haymakers (the loss of attack bonus representing what is in effect a called shot rather than a reckless attack.  It gives you a way to defeat higher toughness saves and allows oyu to do the "more deadly when hidden" kind of thing

Hmm, did not know that.  Oh well.  I'll take Durf's suggestion about Power Attack (thanks!) and use the other 3 ranks left over from Sneak Attack to buy Acrobatic Bluff, Ranged Pin, and Set-Up.  Also turned the Luck ranks into Enhanced Feats under magical Powers. 

Any other recommendations?  Dunno if you saw my question about your "exotic saves" comment, Raveled, but I'm not sure what you meant.